This is probably the only post that will be from THE Elder Christensen.

If you are reading this you probably know me and are close to me so I won't really describe myself...

But today is Sunday May 02, 2010. I get set apart tomorrow as a MISSIONARY for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 8:30 P.M. These last couple days have been a whirl-wind but I still have yet to fully grasp the concept of flying to Brazil Tuesday morning so I'm betting the coming days will just OWN me from the inside out as far as craziness goes. I am so excited to head off into the unknown, and am ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way. My mom and dad taught me right, and I am so thankful to you all of you that prepared me for getting this far. You all know who you are

Anyways the blog that follows will pretty much just be a post of Emails that are from me to my family and friends, and it will be a good way to see me progress through my mission first hand. Even if my emails aren't necessarily to you don't feel weird about reading them. I want as many people to share this experience with me as I can.

God be with all of you until we meet again. You'll need it while you don't have me to bestow my presence upon you. haha. I'll see you all in a couple years.

-Scott

Send Me A Letter, I Miss You.

Elder Michael Scott Christensen
Brazil São Paulo Interlagos Mission
R. Euzébio de Souza, 121
Jardim Londrina
05638-100 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Jul 21, 2010

Funny Stories!

So crazy that´s crazy that Todd and Ashley are having a baby. I guess I can´t be the baby of the family at their house anymore. BUT I CAN BE THE CRAZY DIRTY UNCLE. so it´s all good. This week has been jammed packed with stuff. I guess it´s a week and 2 days. but I´m excited to tell these stories so let´s start clicking through them. Primarily, all of last week was raining. Sometimes a lot like thunderstorm in oklahoma style rain, and sometimes this creepy mist. But I was wet for a good amount of time. That made things intersting for 3 reasons. Number 1, my umbrella is a bit small and the rain was coming down sideways. In fact, just the top of my head stayed totally dry. Secondly, our mission president won´t let us wear rain jackets. So we were trudging around in suits. That was just hilarious to me. I honestly would just laugh and laugh as we got destroyed by the rain. Third was how it affected our work. I don´t know where everyone went, but no one was on the street and no one was in their homes either. So we got to frolic around in the rain for a few days without a whole lot to do at night. The other pretty funny thing was the mud. I´ll try to send a picture but we´ll see if I have time. If not I´ll send one on monday. But at some points my whole foot was under the mud as I scrambled around for dry-ish ground. That made me laugh too.

Next was an experience that I´m trying to forget. We were just teaching a lesson to this young couple with 2 kids. Things are going good and I was the one talking, when her 2 or 3 year old daughter came running in and ASKED for a drink. Because she asked i figured it would be a drink from a cup. but I had no such luck. The mom just plopped the kid on her lap and lifted her shirt up and the kid started drinking. I almost forgot what I was talking about when it happened. I just remember thinking ``EYE-CONTACT´´ really loud in my head and diverted my attention to the husband. So yeah, that was gross.

Next was when we were in this home with this really cool guy named Fagner. He´s legit, but he his sister was there too and she is a bit annoying. But it´s technically her house so whatever. Anyways we go to leave and ask if we can leave with a prayer and she´s like ``can i say it?´´ Well of course we had to let her since it´s her house. So she comences to do this prayer that includes yelling and shaking and it caught me so off gaurd that I started laughing. I respect anyone that wants to worship their God, I just was laughing because I didn´t know what else to do. So that went on for a good 10 minutes. She had her eyes shut the whole time luckily because I was losing it at some points. Then when she finished the Jackson 5 busted out of who knows where and started giving her some back up singing. Seriously. She just started clapping and singing and little children just erupted out of every corner doing the same. Honestly I was impressed, but I definitely have a problem with laughing at things that are new to me.

Speaking of which, we were on the street and this woman came up to us and started talking to us about ``them mormons.´´ but the thing about her that was funny was that she had a legit beard. And a lot of armpit hair. But yeah. gross.

The final funny instance has to be the clock with a naked mermaid on it. Maybe anyone reading this who has been in a lot of homes in brazil knows what i´m talking about, because my comp has seen it many times. But what it is, is a large painting of a mermaid that just has her hair covering the unspeakable parts with a little clock in the corner. That one made me laugh hard. Especially because the first time I saw it, it had a picture of the guy who we were talking to taped next to the mermaid. and the picture of him was 30 years old. I can´t really describe it any better than that, but just know that that same house his wife told us she was going to follow ``the way of the pass along card´´ as a religion. She told us her life was changed by a pass along card, which is good, but then she told us that even though it´s from our church she would rather follow the card than the church. I don´t really know what that means either, but she just kept crying and hugging the card and telling us that we could follow our path and she´d follow hers. I think she thought it was like a... i don´t know this word in english. Image? like saints and specail people in the catholic church. whatever. weird.

Like by the time I am coming home, I don´t think anything will really suprise me that much. I have seen some things that are sooo funny, and I have seen some stuff that is pretty depressing. But all in all I keep smiling because it´s fun to be working for so great a cause. When i see people who´s faces are aged before their time due to worry and hardship start to smile it´s a pretty cool experience. Keep up the good work at home, I´m going to try to send some picture really quick.

1 comment:

  1. Classic brown bottle incident. What will really blow your mind is when a grandma will pull out her breast and breast feed her 8 year old grandson. Now that is gross.

    ReplyDelete