This is probably the only post that will be from THE Elder Christensen.

If you are reading this you probably know me and are close to me so I won't really describe myself...

But today is Sunday May 02, 2010. I get set apart tomorrow as a MISSIONARY for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 8:30 P.M. These last couple days have been a whirl-wind but I still have yet to fully grasp the concept of flying to Brazil Tuesday morning so I'm betting the coming days will just OWN me from the inside out as far as craziness goes. I am so excited to head off into the unknown, and am ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way. My mom and dad taught me right, and I am so thankful to you all of you that prepared me for getting this far. You all know who you are

Anyways the blog that follows will pretty much just be a post of Emails that are from me to my family and friends, and it will be a good way to see me progress through my mission first hand. Even if my emails aren't necessarily to you don't feel weird about reading them. I want as many people to share this experience with me as I can.

God be with all of you until we meet again. You'll need it while you don't have me to bestow my presence upon you. haha. I'll see you all in a couple years.

-Scott

Send Me A Letter, I Miss You.

Elder Michael Scott Christensen
Brazil São Paulo Interlagos Mission
R. Euzébio de Souza, 121
Jardim Londrina
05638-100 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Jul 31, 2011

Sounds like everyone is tearing it up across the globe and things are changing quite a bit in tri-town. World travelers unite.

Luckily I know a dude who is suuuuuuper portuguese from portugal, and it isn't that hard to understand their accent. It requires a bit of mental force, but it possible. In other words, we can vacation anywhere in portugal or brasil or portuguese speaking countries of africa without significant language barriers when I get home. Brasil would be 100% without language barreir, and portugal would be like going to rural ireland where their english is all crazy and has different grammer. Who knows about africa. The people that I know from capo verde are pretty easy to understand, but for now moçambique remains a wild card.

ANYWHO. We are trying out a system of baptizing every week that another elder explained to me at a mission activity that seems pretty good on paper. It takes 5 weeks to set up, but then after that you should technically be baptizing every single saturday. We'll see about that.

we've got quite a few people that we are preparing right now. Lots of super old people and 3 little kids who's parents are less active members that are coming back to church. I don't know what it is, but old people think I am so cool. I feel tons of love for them too because they really understand what is important in life usually and don't mess around. One of them is blind-ish, and to still have fun with the guy we are going to do blindfolded games (try to figure out what you are eating, what your are holding, etc.) I am thinking he is gonna whoop us because we see the guy driving his car all over the place even though he is blind. He's gotta have some mad hearing skills like a bat or something. We'll see if he can compete with me in the "try to figure out what you are eating" catagory.

Sometimes we work with this wayyy old dude in our ward who looks a little like a little puppet and sounds just like that puppet from Mr. Rogers Neighboorhood that had super creepy rosy cheeks, who is SO COOL. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me sometimes, but when I see other people showing real Christ-like love to their neighboors I end up thinking that they are my best friend or something. This guy has been a church member for 20 years (note: the missionaries found him in a bar that they took cover in because it was raining like crazy), and still whenever he meets someone new he plans a time when they can meet the missionaries. A lot of people continually reject his offer, or end up deciding not to try to read or pray about anything, but he still keeps being genuinely their best friend. Last night, he gave us yet another referral like that, and he left joking and everything and then when we walked a ways from the house he stopped, and with a face/voice super full legit of concern, simply told us he wants this new family to be happy. They moved into that house yesterday morning and you could tell even though he had just gotten to know them as he was leaving for church that morning, he legitly feels love or them. He's a boss. I love people like that, and usually they seem to be older people.

If you end up sending a package for my birthday send candy. And send 3-4 of everything so I can share it with my companion and the people here. He is still kind of a turd ball from time to time, but whatever. I think if I keep being exact in everything he'll stop being a slacker. He got out of bed an hour late today, didn't study, then started getting dressed at like 10:40, when we are supposed to be gone by 10:45 and dressed before 8. I figure telling him to change something he already knows he should change won't help, so I just always talk about how happy I feel from doing what we are supposed to do and hope he does it by choice.

Actual birthday list:
1)crest white strips
2)candy (packaged well to not melt/get smashed)
3)tools for my tool box (don't send those, just put them in my room)
4)pictures of washington (especially the tri-cities area), my car, am areal view of BYU (so I can explain everything better to people because they can't imagine a world without forest)

All in all things are going good and I feel little-no desire to slap my comp in the head most of the time. That is what I call a miracle. I hope you guys have a good week and that everyone gets home safe from trips.

LURVESES

P.S. to all friends who may or may not read this but don't write me for 6+ months. you suck.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment