This is probably the only post that will be from THE Elder Christensen.

If you are reading this you probably know me and are close to me so I won't really describe myself...

But today is Sunday May 02, 2010. I get set apart tomorrow as a MISSIONARY for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 8:30 P.M. These last couple days have been a whirl-wind but I still have yet to fully grasp the concept of flying to Brazil Tuesday morning so I'm betting the coming days will just OWN me from the inside out as far as craziness goes. I am so excited to head off into the unknown, and am ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way. My mom and dad taught me right, and I am so thankful to you all of you that prepared me for getting this far. You all know who you are

Anyways the blog that follows will pretty much just be a post of Emails that are from me to my family and friends, and it will be a good way to see me progress through my mission first hand. Even if my emails aren't necessarily to you don't feel weird about reading them. I want as many people to share this experience with me as I can.

God be with all of you until we meet again. You'll need it while you don't have me to bestow my presence upon you. haha. I'll see you all in a couple years.

-Scott

Send Me A Letter, I Miss You.

Elder Michael Scott Christensen
Brazil São Paulo Interlagos Mission
R. Euzébio de Souza, 121
Jardim Londrina
05638-100 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Oct 3, 2011

suuuuup

man, I feel bad for the whole world because that general conference was made specifically for me. Starting about a week ago I started to get ideas about how I needed to be better with my commitment to prayer and my faith in a real relationship with God and what I could do that ended up all coming together as conference played out. It was cool

Sunday morning I read Numbers 20:7-12 which is when moses was commanded to go get water out of the rock. He ended up having success and everything but the Lord got way mad at him. So after I went back and reread verse 8 where he is telling him what he wants done I realized that he had asked him to just talk to the rock instead of whacking it a couple of times with his stick, and because moses wasn't exact in obeying His commands in that moment of stress, God didn't let him enter the promised land. I realized as I thought about that how little I ask God in prayer if what I am doing is exactly what he wants me to do. So I was drawing up a basic plan of action so that I could certify that I relied more heavily upon the Lord, when I went to conference and they repeatedly urged me to do that and described how. It is good that I am feeling that right now, because apparently if you forget to pray for a while because things are working out anyways, that is when the bad stuff goes down (D&C 101:7-8). Future crisis avoided (hopefully....?). We'll see if I actually put it into practice or not.

Other than that, my president gave me the miracle of forgiveness to read, and it is pretty good. So far I have basically just realized that a lot of my personal opinions about stuff like how I should study after the mission and when it would be appropriate to question if the methods of local church leaders are super effective or not are pretty wrong. Good to know though I guess because at least now I have some reference point.

Also my comp got transfered. So in 3 transfers in the same area I will have 3 companions. haha. I have a buddy on the mission who is going home in 6 weeks. Maybe I'll be his last companion and then have 4 comps in one area. Fingers crossed because he is hilarious and a really effective hard working missionary , but I don't really care that much I guess. I just want a companion that keeps all the rules. I am sick of my companions waking up an hour late and not caring about anything. Even the recent comps I have had that work hard ALWAYS wake up late. I think it might just be a brasilian thing. FINGERS CROSSED.

So yeah that is it. I found out that it is really good to make fresh oatmeal and put a bit of fresh mango juice in it. Also, pineapple in pancakes is awesome. Also, making jelly out of guava is way more complicated than that last fruit I used. Guava is full of freaking little seeds that break your teeth if you aren't carefull, so forget that. I'll just continue to eat them. I eat soooo muuuuuuch fruit. It is kind of like the poor people food here because it is so plentiful, so my companions don't like eating fruits because of stupid mental barriers. But all the fruits here rock. I am going to miss that. The avacados are huge and you just leave them on your table untill the get soft and blend them up with sugar and milk and it is pretty ballin. I eat a ton of fruit all day every day for a week on about 6 bucks just to give you an idea. It is awesome. Sometimes I forget that I live in a tropical paradise becuase the city can be so ugly and messed up. Tons of horribly made ugly buildings everywhere make you forget about the jungle. I hope my next area is an area really far out in the boonies again because that is way better in my opinion. But whatevs right.

Just gotta keep looking up.

Wellllllp, I love you all. I could literally feel mom crying during that talk about missionaries, so thanks for that. The love and support you guys give me is real, and I feel it out here.

buy me some tools.

Love,

Elder Christensen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment