This is probably the only post that will be from THE Elder Christensen.

If you are reading this you probably know me and are close to me so I won't really describe myself...

But today is Sunday May 02, 2010. I get set apart tomorrow as a MISSIONARY for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 8:30 P.M. These last couple days have been a whirl-wind but I still have yet to fully grasp the concept of flying to Brazil Tuesday morning so I'm betting the coming days will just OWN me from the inside out as far as craziness goes. I am so excited to head off into the unknown, and am ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way. My mom and dad taught me right, and I am so thankful to you all of you that prepared me for getting this far. You all know who you are

Anyways the blog that follows will pretty much just be a post of Emails that are from me to my family and friends, and it will be a good way to see me progress through my mission first hand. Even if my emails aren't necessarily to you don't feel weird about reading them. I want as many people to share this experience with me as I can.

God be with all of you until we meet again. You'll need it while you don't have me to bestow my presence upon you. haha. I'll see you all in a couple years.

-Scott

Send Me A Letter, I Miss You.

Elder Michael Scott Christensen
Brazil São Paulo Interlagos Mission
R. Euzébio de Souza, 121
Jardim Londrina
05638-100 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Jun 1, 2010

So i realized today that even though it feels like I´ve been here for like 10 days it´s been about a month. Huh. This week was not too out of the norm. Studying from 7:30AM to 9:00PM every day. I sometimes start to think that I don´t know anything but then I find myself translating for people that have been here longer than me or something like that. Basically it´s just a boss-tastic time here.

But in other news we didn´t get to go to the temple this week so I´m sensing it will just drag on. I´m surprised at how much I miss it already even though I would have just gone this morning. But whatevs.

TO ALL OF YOU SENDING ME LETTERS: thank-you. It really does make me feel good when I get to find something from someone I know (and someone that speaks english) in my mailbox. I have been writing replies but who can say how long it´s going to take. I didn´t remember any addresses so until you guys mail me I can´t write you back. Sorry. uhmmm... tomorrow I think we go to the federal police to pay some tax or something for our long stay. I actually found out that if I get just 1 more year in brazil in I HAVE to nationalize after 2 years. I´d be a straight up citizen. That would be cool I think. but we´ll see what happens. I have a few requests: ...actually nevermind I don't. I am however pretty scatter brained right now. If you ever want to experience cabin fever, lock yourself in a building with a bunch of nerdy 19 year olds and don´t leave for 2 months. I´d rather just throw myself under the portuguese bus right now and go out to my area, because I think I could be fine. I was thinking about it the other day, and because I know how to carry a really basic conversation on about the gospel, I consider myself set and ready to go. All I think I really need to be able to do is be like ``Look in my eyes so you can know I am telling the truth. I know this is true.´´ after my companion talks. Luckily I´m capable of that already. I guess I would say the main annoyance on the language right now is that I can understand just about anything but say very little correctly. The language has a bunch of cognates (sp?) sdkfjlasçj (i meant to say ``words that sound really similar´´) so it registers really easily in my head. The rules are more concrete than english, so usually my best guess is close enough for me to understand. But then talking is a whole other story. Whenever i talk, they get it but they look at me like I´m a retard or a giant north american toddler just babbling in the corner. I have resorted to just saying things that i know will make people laugh most the time. a common phrase might be ``ughh I have gas and I have poop up my nose...´´ or something of that nature. Not exactlty helpful toward my purpose, but at least it makes the brasilians my age laugh a whole bunch.

OH oh oh, I just realized I wanted Todd to do something for me. Send me a thing about Dan Jones. He was a crazy missionary but I know very little about him. I know he went to wales or something like that, but see if you can find a thing on him like you did that other dude you sent me to. BUUUUUUUT anyways... I don´t know what else to say. Oh, those that sent letters like the first sunday I was here, your letter should be coming this week so keep an eye out.

Rachael- sorry about the cat but I´m not going to lie the fact that you take Blair to the park and make her sit in trees and she hates it made me bust up laughing. AGE 23 - crazy cat lady. your life has been completed. Now you just need some filhos running around. buhhhhh... anyways... I love everyone. I´m not going to lie I can´t say that I am homesick or anything because that just isn´t me, but I do miss being able to see everyone. Sometimes when I say something really sarcasticly in broken portuguese and no one laughs it makes me think of home. But other than that I´m having a blast. Heck even including that I´m having a blast. And for those of you that are sceptical of my work ethic, I promise I´m doing my best and going to bed exhausted every day. I promise you all that i´ve truely given myself up entirely to know the Lord like Lamoni´s father said he would do. At least that is what I´ve been shooting for. See you all in about 23 months.

Signed, Captain Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment