This is probably the only post that will be from THE Elder Christensen.

If you are reading this you probably know me and are close to me so I won't really describe myself...

But today is Sunday May 02, 2010. I get set apart tomorrow as a MISSIONARY for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 8:30 P.M. These last couple days have been a whirl-wind but I still have yet to fully grasp the concept of flying to Brazil Tuesday morning so I'm betting the coming days will just OWN me from the inside out as far as craziness goes. I am so excited to head off into the unknown, and am ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way. My mom and dad taught me right, and I am so thankful to you all of you that prepared me for getting this far. You all know who you are

Anyways the blog that follows will pretty much just be a post of Emails that are from me to my family and friends, and it will be a good way to see me progress through my mission first hand. Even if my emails aren't necessarily to you don't feel weird about reading them. I want as many people to share this experience with me as I can.

God be with all of you until we meet again. You'll need it while you don't have me to bestow my presence upon you. haha. I'll see you all in a couple years.

-Scott

Send Me A Letter, I Miss You.

Elder Michael Scott Christensen
Brazil São Paulo Interlagos Mission
R. Euzébio de Souza, 121
Jardim Londrina
05638-100 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Jun 22, 2010

world cup crazy

So hey. No new emails. It磗 cool. I understand. Haha. Anyways let磗 see... This week has been interesting. I feel like i磎 in limbo. I feel pretty ready to leave and we apparently have 2 weeks left. But whatevs, I guess I磍l just be EXTRA READY. Recently there has been quite a bit of crazy hijynx-ness going on in the streets. It磗 actually pretty hard to describe. Cupo de Mundo has been making everyone go freaking insane whenever Brazil plays. Quite unlike anything that happens in any city in the U.S. Any time there is a game with brazil in it, about 2 hours early people start playing this abnormally loud and annoying plastic horns. it磗 starts爓ith a few quiet little few boops here and there, but by the time there is about 30 minutes left it seems everyone on planet earth is hanging out their window trying to break the loudness/annoyance record with their own personal horn. Then people start just doing crazy stuff. Lot磗 of people have cannons here in their back yards, so they just start shooting them off without and cannonballs. So now you have tons of cannon fire and horns, but that isn磘 loud enough, so let磗 all hop in our cars and drive around throwing mortar-shell fireworks out the windows. Needless to say things are getting pretty crazy at this point. Then you look down at your watch just when you think the world is going to end, and as the minute hand goes to the exact time that the game starts all goes silent. It磗 because they are now all in front of t.v.磗. So you think it磗 over and you settle down. Then Brazil scores. Being in S鉶 Paulo during a soccer game is similar to sitting in the stadium i think when they score. Possibly louder. We were inside, windows shut, studying, and heard every person in the city gasp and start screaming when they scored their first goal of the cup. I haven磘 seen the goal since i磎 a missionary, but based on the noise it was a long shot that suprised everyone when it went in, but something you could see developing. You can honestly hear the voices of 22 million people all cheering for the same thing. It磗 crazy. So then you cue the horns and cannons and explosions of fireworks for a while, then it dies down again and repeats this cycle a few times. Then the game is over. Since all they磛e had so far is victories, this then starts a celebration that is equally as爈oud as just before the game started, and that lasts for a few hours then we go to bed. It磗 pretty cool to be honest. They are legitly all united on this front. Every person in brazil, loves brazil. Definitely not in america anymore. So because of that I磛e gotten pretty used to the explosions and such, but tomorrow we get a batch of new missionaries in that should be pretty freaked out for a while. funnnnnnnnnny stufffffffff. Let磗 see what else....... We were scheduled to proselyte in the city center, but because of the psycotic tendancies of world cup fans we had that cancelled. but we do get to proselyte around here for about an hour. So whatevs. Also, I have come to love preach my gospel in the sense of using it to learn the gospel from the ground up. I decided since i磎 going to invite people to change their lives I should see what I can do to change mine as well, so I磍l just study a section like humility or something untill i have studied everything there, then I磍l try to change something about myself. To be totally honest, as a result of doing this I am so happy sometimes that i can磘 even put it into words. So because of that joy here are 2 challenges specific to anyone reading this. NUMBER 1. if you are a memeber of the church go get yourself a preach my gospel manual, turn to the lessons (preferably 2 or 3 because those are the fun ones) in chapter 3 and start attacking them 1 section at a time. Look for how the gospel is interconnected and try to find the center of it, but mostly look at how everything we have is merely to accomplish one purpose and that is happiness. Ask lots of questions while you study. ``Why did God give this commandment?创 and such and just see what you can learn about the central role of the atonement and how you can change as a person to be happier. NUMBER 2. If you happen to not be a member, especially if you are爋ne爋f my buds,營 want you to do爐o ask yourself ``am I happy?创 No matter what the answer is, I personally爇now you can be happier. So rather than just wondering how i can make these claims or if I磎 waisting my time following a false religion take a very simple challenge. Read Part of the Book of Mormon. Then I want you to think about what you read for a while. Next I want you to go to the introduction and read the last 2 paragraphs or go to moroni 10:3-5. When you read this, do it knowing that I have taken that same challenge to pray about that book and I promise you that if you will have the courage to just ask God he磍l tell you the truth about it when you pray about it. And from there you can start realizing what life is truely about and why you could be happier. Don磘 be lame, just try it. It will only take 5 minutes to read and then you just have to have a short convo with God. I promise it is real. Anyways gotta go. outta time,.

No comments:

Post a Comment