This is probably the only post that will be from THE Elder Christensen.

If you are reading this you probably know me and are close to me so I won't really describe myself...

But today is Sunday May 02, 2010. I get set apart tomorrow as a MISSIONARY for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 8:30 P.M. These last couple days have been a whirl-wind but I still have yet to fully grasp the concept of flying to Brazil Tuesday morning so I'm betting the coming days will just OWN me from the inside out as far as craziness goes. I am so excited to head off into the unknown, and am ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way. My mom and dad taught me right, and I am so thankful to you all of you that prepared me for getting this far. You all know who you are

Anyways the blog that follows will pretty much just be a post of Emails that are from me to my family and friends, and it will be a good way to see me progress through my mission first hand. Even if my emails aren't necessarily to you don't feel weird about reading them. I want as many people to share this experience with me as I can.

God be with all of you until we meet again. You'll need it while you don't have me to bestow my presence upon you. haha. I'll see you all in a couple years.

-Scott

Send Me A Letter, I Miss You.

Elder Michael Scott Christensen
Brazil São Paulo Interlagos Mission
R. Euzébio de Souza, 121
Jardim Londrina
05638-100 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Nov 8, 2010

The transfer...‏

Guess who´s getting transfered? Not my companion. Me. Finally.

Don´t get me wrong, I love this place, but I´m ready to get going somewhere else. Something about the face that we have to walk uphill to get home everyday is starting to wear on me. And the fact that most people I talk to on the street know me, or have talked to me at least once. Even the dogs know me, and I recognize them and know their personalities. hundreds of them. that means it´s time to go.

and so I´m off. Given that I am not allowed to use that jacket and it´s huge, i´m leaving it in the house amongst the mountain of abondoned items. Also I am leaving behind my companion. I´m not going to lie, in a creepy way I´ve grown attached to him over the 3 months that I spend every hour of the day with him, but definitely not in a gay way, and I am definitely not sad at the prospect of a new (hopefully cheerful) companion. I can´t even count the number of members that told him to smile more. BUT, he´s cool. At transfers I´ll give him a high five or a thumbs up and ask him about the area. So lessoned learned, when you try super hard you can like anyone.

But this week was the week of weirdness and near death experiences. Story number one: so I´m taking a shower on tuesday, and I was smelling a smell of burning plastic, but I always smell that smell when I use that shower, so no biggie. Then the room filled with steam... smoke...? no, I´m pretty sure it´s steam. oh wait, that is definitely smoke. So I turned and looked at the electric shower head, and lo and behold, it was throwing sparks and fire all over the place in a tiny tile room. Then it became a battle of wills. I had to get close enough to an electric death trap to turn it off, while soaked in water. Trusting in the 10,000 times that I´ve been electricuted before I just bravehearted it and took one running/yelling step towards it after minutes of thought and breathing smoke and turned it off. Luckily it was anti-climactic and I lived without getting shocked. Turns out, loosly wrapping exposed wires in electrical tape in a shower doesn´t keep them from corroding. Who´da thunk it?

So I bought some wire, tape, and realizing I don´t have money used a knife to fix it. And having avoided electricution to this point went into the job pretty confident. So I cut the power at the breaker, cut the wire without getting shocked, stripped one end with the knife, and when I went to strip the other wire, got electricuted. I think something about the last name ``Christensen´´ made that one inevitable. So I cut power to the whole house, and finished the job with a flash light in my mouth. The funniest part to me came when my companion bragged to the members about how lucky he is that he already worked with construction and ``re-wired´´ the shower. First of all, he hid in the other room asking me if I was sure I knew what I was doing. Second of all, we (I) didn´t wire anything, we cut off the corroded parts and re-connected it. A four year old can do that. But I let him tell the members how manly he is, because after all, he´s super manly.

Story number 2: this one is still baffling to me and I don´t really get it, but I tell what I know. I was sitting in church talking to the Bishop after church, and this crazy, really well dressed lady, busted in and asked if I was a north american. I sat there thinking about whether or not she would kill me if I said yes.... and after a while the bishop said yeah. My companion said I just stared off into space for like 20 seconds thoughtfully. Then she pulled out this huge book of notes and reciepts and newspaper clippings and related a lot of random information that made no sense to me or anyone else. She showed me a lot of american signatures and told me she was the mistress of Barack Obama. She had a bunch of notes from him, but I doubt their validity given that they were written in portuguese... but who knows...? I´m just glad she didn´t whip out a prison shank of a gun and kill me. So I just told her that I don´t know Obama, but I can tell her about Christ if she wants and she got super mad and stormed out cussing. Only on the mission.

But hey, that is life. I don´t know where I´m headed, but it´ll be good. UNtilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll next week.

Laters. Lurves you alls.

No comments:

Post a Comment