This is probably the only post that will be from THE Elder Christensen.

If you are reading this you probably know me and are close to me so I won't really describe myself...

But today is Sunday May 02, 2010. I get set apart tomorrow as a MISSIONARY for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 8:30 P.M. These last couple days have been a whirl-wind but I still have yet to fully grasp the concept of flying to Brazil Tuesday morning so I'm betting the coming days will just OWN me from the inside out as far as craziness goes. I am so excited to head off into the unknown, and am ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way. My mom and dad taught me right, and I am so thankful to you all of you that prepared me for getting this far. You all know who you are

Anyways the blog that follows will pretty much just be a post of Emails that are from me to my family and friends, and it will be a good way to see me progress through my mission first hand. Even if my emails aren't necessarily to you don't feel weird about reading them. I want as many people to share this experience with me as I can.

God be with all of you until we meet again. You'll need it while you don't have me to bestow my presence upon you. haha. I'll see you all in a couple years.

-Scott

Send Me A Letter, I Miss You.

Elder Michael Scott Christensen
Brazil São Paulo Interlagos Mission
R. Euzébio de Souza, 121
Jardim Londrina
05638-100 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Jan 9, 2012

P-Day

well another P-Day. We had an activity today that was pretty funny. We went to a member's house and ate lunch there with 14 missionaries. That is fun to do down here because the members love it. She was crying at the end as she thanked us for eating her food. I was crying as well because the food was SOOO GOOOD. A big ol' pot of ribs and tons of cuscuz and gallons of fresh guava juice. I drank like all the guava juice by myself. And we played uno while she was making the food and the last one to run out of cards got a bucket of water thrown on them. Good times. I stayed dry luckily, because I am technically not even old enough to play uno yet.




This week was good. One dude that wasn't sure he wanted to even get married to his wife or not, but needed to in order to get baptised, got up in testimony meeting and declared that he knew that Christ is the one who makes us happy and that he knew that this is his church and that he is going to get married and baptized because the Holy Ghost helped him feel that this was the right thing to do. I was pretty happy. Also I took one of our investigators down in the baptismal font between classes to show him what it is like. He's getting baptised on the 21st. Just a good sunday for me.



My companions legs are thrashed. I feel bad for the kid, but we have places to be and so he needs to keep toughing it out or let me carry him on my back (I AM THAT MANLY/he won't let me).



I think I am going to grow out a crazy mustache right when I get home.



Welllllp...



time flies, huh? I found my mission call and stuff in my suit case and remembered what it was like when I was getting here. There is considerably less time remaining on my mission, than the time that I had between getting my call and going out. and life goes on. I just realized that as much as we focus on big landmark events, most of our life is built up of day to day thoughts that lead to day to day actions that create our habits and in the end create our circumstance. Like, before my mission I would always think, "man, after my mission I am going to be this and that and blah blah blah" and I realized that the mission isn't some kind of magic pass that just makes everything go afterwords.



So I started studying about habits that will lead my life to a constant state of happiness, and I came up with this idea based on scripture and whatnot. Then I realized it wasn't a new thing and that God has wanted people to realize this for a while. It goes like this.



If you want to be happy in any walk of life:

1) your thoughts must be remembering and centered on Christ

2) your actions must be centered on being his disciple and copying him (taking his name upon you)

3) your habit must be centered in keeping all of his commandments and can't lead you away from any them.



So that isn't a new thing because that is the baptismal covenant. Cool, huh? So if you want to be happy, just spend your week getting ready to take the sacrament at church in a meaningful way.



That is something that I really enjoy about the gospel. You don't have to be a genious. The greatest of all minds has set up a concrete plan that takes you straight to happiness through obedience. You just have to do what he says. Easy to understand, but you need to put your whole heart in it to do it. I feel like I have trouble with that sometimes. But even having trouble it is pretty enjoyable stuff.



So yeah, moral of the story, sacrament is a pretty big blessing.



But i'd better go. I have a nap to take.



Love ya lots. lllllaaaaaaaatttttteeeeeeerrrrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment